Saturday, October 04, 2008

Nothin But The Benjamin... and the Grants


For the first time in my life today I have held a US one hundred dollar bill. This was very exciting. I have bought several things in my life worth over a hundred dollars: my phone, my ipod, my camera, my computer, my freedom from the Williamstown Police Department etc. However, I have used a credit or debit card to pay for each of these things and on the rare occasion that I've paid cash for something around the 100 dollar mark, I've paid for it with a bunch of twenties. Having five twenties does not carry the same joy as having one Benjy. So how did I come by my Benjy?

Well, I finally have found me a roommate. Yes, someone will now pay half of my rent for me, allowing me to leave the poor house for the first time in about a year. The feeling of financial freedom has corrupted me so much already. Case in point: roomie arrived this evening around 5:30pm. By 10:30pm I had charged $30.00 to my credit card, with nothing to show. Food and drinks. And the sad thing is that I had dinner at home. Maybe someone is gonna come bail ME out if I could just find a way to spend around 700 billion more. Anyway, my point is that roomie paid me her share of the rent in cold hard cash. One Benjy and seven Grants. Who knew Grant was on the fifty? Who knew there was a fifty?! Not I.

Anyway, to celebrate my first real genuine Benjy, I have decided to document it by taking a picture of it and posting it here in my Bloggie. So I set it on my coffee table ontop of a magazine and snapped away. But upon reviewing my picture, I noticed something intruguing. Thanks to the remarkable and brilliant Williams College marketing team, I have Williams memorabilia everywhere. And so, as I snapped my Benjy sitting proudly on my coffee table, so too did I snap my Williams alumni magazine. And I got to thinking about what the real value of this picture was. It was my Benjy, which today is valued at 100 dollars, and by the way things are going will be worth two Canadian cents by next week, but also, my Williams connection. Somebody, somewhere, paid $160,000 so that I could be a Williams alum. So the true value of that picture is actually $160,100.00 which is pretty insane. Okay, I am a dork.

No comments: